I played a really fun jam last night. Some friends have a recording studio set up in an old church, and we go nuts there once a week. There is absolutely no discussion of what's going to be played. No wrong notes, no keys or bars, no rules at all, and it's all recorded. There is some searching and wanking to be sure, but there's lots of magic fire and art telepathy as well.
The music really evolves in this setting. We know we're not making triple-platinum records, we're just enjoying playing music and bouncing ideas off each other. It's such a great contrast to normal gigs where you have to play specific parts and songs.
Contrast is my motto anyway since I love contrasting musical situations, but this jam is unique in my experience. Super-fun!
I have a stack of CDs of our jams over the years, great music for long car trips. I think some of it would make good soundtracks for film.
I'm researching putting up my own website, when I do, I'll post some choice moments from the jams we call "Farm".
More soon,
James a.k.a. "Basspresso"
Welcome to Basspresso Bass World
This is my bass and general band/music blog.
I've been playing gigs for 30+ years, and this looks like the place to vent.
I've been playing gigs for 30+ years, and this looks like the place to vent.
About Me
- Basspresso
- Pro bass player, espresso obsessor, husband, father, uncle, brother, and son
Friday, May 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment